Sunday, September 9, 2012

THE INVISIBLE MAN

I awoke to a glorious morning with a granted wish,
A wish to see, but not be seen,
To hear, but not to be heard,
But still,
I wished to be able to feel,
It was a ghostly wish,
To be the invisible man.
For just a day,

With my To-do list in mind,
One I made from the days I knew my waste left from my behind,
The places I wanted to go,
The Banks I wanted to go broke,
The Government secrets I wanted to know.
Many things to explore,
But first, I had to see my friends,
Give them a little more than they could comprehend.

I met them talking and laughing like always,
And then, one of them looked at me,
Through me,
Beyond me,
And asked about me,
It felt like their hearts flipped from flesh to stones.
And as they spoke, in cold hush tones,
Their speared words pierced every inch of my flesh and bones.
And they spilled, like they knew I was there,
And wanted me to hear,
I came to show them more than they could comprehend,
But instead,
I got as much as I could comprehend.

And when I had drank to my fill what they had spilled,
I left,
With my heart cleft,
Asunder,
The bits glued together by words to ponder.

And just then, I saw her face,
That face that always beamed with light,
That face that always carried a smile,
That was all I knew about her, her smile.

But there was more,
Her doctor said her body would lose the war,
In about five months or four,
With her cancer which started merely as a sore.

When I learned this was her fate,
I admired her faith,
Because she still wore a moonlit face,
With all of her pain hidden with no trace.

The places I wanted to go,
The banks I wanted to go broke,
The Government secrets I wanted to know.
None of it mattered anymore.

And now that I've become visible,
I know the people to treat right,
I've learned of the silent battles we fight,
And most importantly,
I've learned of the power of a simple smile.

But know,
That its two more wishes to go,,
So remember me when your door squeaks,
Remember me before your mouth leaks,
I might be watching, listening.
Because I, am the invisible man.
Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone provided by Airtel Nigeria.

4 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful and yet it manages to place focus on what is important. This post teaches us to prioritize. + some things aren't just worth it, and some things are worth everything. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is nice Fu'ad. Why write it like a poem tho?

    ReplyDelete